Movie Review Time

It's time once again for me to throw some movie reviews at you. I may have left out a few, but these were some that I could remember from the past month or so. Enjoy the reviews and remember that you may not like all of these silly comedies that I give such glowing remarks to. I am a bit immature when it comes to my taste in film.












This was definitely not one of Jim's best efforts but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It had some funny parts, which you would expect from a Jim Carrey movie. It's about a down on his luck banker who goes to a seminar and learns to say "yes" to everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. It co-stars Bradley Cooper, which is always a plus. You will remember Cooper from his famous role as "Sack" in the Wedding Crashers. Cooper also stars in The Hangover, to be reviewed later in this very post.







Race To Witch Mountain is a movie I watched with Maddie. I was mainly interested because it was a movie with "The Rock" in it. It's about 2 alien kids who get into Rock's cab and they go on an interesting adventure. Good family movie if you have some kids.








I liked this movie a lot. I'm a big Paul Rudd fan. I think he's a very underrated actor. In this one Rudd is planning his wedding when he realizes that he doesn't really have any friends, and he needs a best man. So he is on a mission to find one. He goes on "dates" with many different dudes trying to find the right "friend" for the job. Yes, one of them turns out to be gay. He finally meets that dude on the right of the picture. I can't remember his name, but you can see his penis in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, just in case you're interested. The dude is funny. They have some classic moments as their friendship grows. Watch this one if you haven't already.









Possibly the worst Will Ferrell movie ever. It was funny enough that I had to finish it, but it is far from great. Very far from great. I am a huge Ferrell fan. My wife hates him. Therefore, I watched this one alone. I'm glad I did because if I had somehow talked Jordan into watching this debacle, I would never be able to talk her into another Ferrell movie for the rest of our lives. How can you not like Will Ferrell? The guy was Ricky Bobby for crying out loud. He was Chazz Reinhold. He was Frank "The Tank" Riccard. He went streaking. He was Ron Burgundy. He was Jackie Moon in Semi-Pro. He was great as Brennan Huff in Step Brothers. He was Chazz Michael Michaels in Blades of Glory. He really must like the name Chazz. Don't forget, he was also Buddy in the classic and underrated Christmas movie Elf. Hopefully my wife will read about all of these legendary roles and realize what she's missing out on. I almost forgot. He also can rock the cowbell. I changed my mind. Go out and buy Land Of The Lost. It's great, and will probably get Oscar consideration.


The Hangover is the best movie I've watched in a long while. Much to the chagrin of Grant "Stretch" Sharp, I would not rate it above Wedding Crashers or Old School. We had this discussion. "Stretch" thinks The Hangover is one of the all time greats. I agree that it is really, really good, but I'm not putting it into the GOAT category like Mr. Sharp. It's about a group of guys who go to Vegas for a bachelor party and wake up the next morning and can't find the groom. They also can't remember anything they did the night before. Their room is a mess. There's a tiger in the bathroom. There's a baby in the closet, and they've got the keys to a stolen police cruiser. The movie is about their quest to find their friend, as well as the answers to the question: What did we do last night? You must rent this movie ASAP. It's worth the watch. My wife even liked it, and she's been known to diss my "immature" comedies. When you watch it, don't stop when the credits start rolling. The pictures they show during the end credits contain a lot of information about their night out in Vegas.


Seth Rogen fans will like this movie. I know I did. It won't go down as an all time great or anything, but it's worth your time. Rogen plays a mall security guard who is trying to catch a pervert who keeps flashing people at the mall. Ray Liotta is the cop on the case who gets in his way. Silliness ensues. As far as mall security guard movies go, I rate this one above Paul Blart, although Blart is much more "family friendly". If you're offended by an f-bomb, or I guess I should say several f-bombs, stay away from this movie.

This is another movie I got to watch with Maddie. That turned out to be a mistake. Although the movie stars Zac Efron (Troy from High School Musical, in case you live under a rock), it is not a good choice for a 6 year old. It wasn't so bad that we turned it off. It was more like just a couple of uncomfortable moments that snuck up on us. For example, the part where they handed out condoms at school. Not a lot of bad language or anything, just stuff 6 year olds don't know about, but they will sure as hell ask about. As far as the movie goes, I liked it. I thought I was gonna have to suffer through this thing, but it was pretty good. Matthew Perry (Chandler Bing for you Friends fans) has lost his wife and every bit of "coolness" he ever had. He magically turns into his old self (Zac Efron) and goes back to high school and becomes best friends with his own son. I don't know why they chose Perry to play the grown man part. I love Matthew Perry, but Zac Efron's a stud. Perry is kind of a dork in my eyes. It pains me to say it because of what I thought this movie would be, but I recommend it.


Hannah Montana: The Movie. I am gonna lose my "man card" over this one. I love to spend time with Maddie. She loves to watch Hannah Montana. Therefore, Jordan and I find ourselves watching Hannah pretty often with her. We have all grown to like the show and we actually were kind of pumped up to watch the movie. I think this was pretty good. It doesn't hurt that I'm a big Billy Ray fan, always have been. Maddie gets mad when I call him Billy Ray. "Daddy, it's Robbie Ray". That's what I hear all the time. That's Billy's name on the show. If you've got kids who like Hannah (Bunch's, I know you do), you will like this movie. If you don't have kids who like Hannah, you will hate this movie. Pretty simple.


This was one weird flick. I liked it, but it was weird. I've had a copy of this forever, and we finally watched it a couple of weeks ago. Samuel L. Jackson is a cop who gets some new neighbors, a young bi-racial couple. The dude is white, the chick is black. Samuel doesn't like it though, and pretty much makes their lives hell until they wanna kill him. I mean literally kill him. This has been out a while, so you may have already watched it. It ain't bad. It ain't great. I'm definitely not gonna call it a "must see", but it's not a waste of time either. Make your own choice, which I'm sure you would have done without my permission anyway.

To finish out the reviews, we will talk about Burn After Reading. Like any Coen Brothers film, this one is a little weird too. I can totally understand how someone would get lost and hate this movie, but I loved it. It stars Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and John Malkovich. That alone is enough to drag me in. Like most women, I'm a huge Brad Pitt fan. I guess you could use the previous sentence and substitute the name George Clooney as well. Clooney gets his due credit most of the time. I've always got the feeling that Pitt is thought of as more of a "pretty face". However, I think he's an excellent actor, and I usually love his movies. This movie is about Pitt and a coworker at a gym finding a disc containing memoirs from Malkovich's time working for the CIA. Malkovich had recently quit his job with the CIA and was in the process of putting together his memoirs when his wife decided she wanted a divorce. Her lawyer tells her to copy his files from their home computer to get all of his financial information. She does this, but also ends up with all his CIA stories on the disc as well. Then the lawyers receptionist loses the disc at the gym where the bumbling idiots find it. They think they have top secret classified government information that they can make money off of. They try to get money from Malkovich. Then they try to sell it to the Russians. Funny stuff. George Clooney is a government official who is having an affair with Malkovich's wife, and coincidentally meets and has an affair with Pitt's coworker as well. It all ends up intertwining in the end. I really like this movie. Jordan thought it was just decent. It's another one that's been out a while, so you may have already watched it. It's on HBO now I think, if you've got that.

Have a nice day!!!!!!