Mike Davis

Kendall called me after yesterday's game from some Hooters restaurant in Alabama. He claimed to be sitting at a table with Mike Davis. Davis is the former Indiana Hoosiers coach. He currently coaches the UAB Blazers. Thats University of Alabama Birmingham for those who don't know. He is best known around these parts for storming onto the court in the closing seconds of a close game between the Hoosiers and the Cats a few years back. He got a couple of technicals, got ejected, and the Cats put the game away easily. He is also famous for his press conference quotes stating how much he hated Kentucky basketball. He is now at UAB and had a commitment from one of the best high school basketball prospects in the nation, a kid named Demarcus Cousins. However, Cousins backed out of his commitment to Davis and the Blazers and is now visiting other schools. Kentucky is not one of those schools. That brings us to the good part of this story. I didn't believe "The Git" when he told me he was mingling with Davis, so "The Git" asked me what I would say to Davis if he would talk to me. Of course I didn't really want to talk to Davis but guess what? Kendall put him on the phone anyway. Before I could tell Kendall I didn't really care to speak to Davis on the phone, I had Davis practically screaming into "The Git's" phone, "Kentucky ain't never gonna get Demarcus Cousins". I was floored. This was definitely Mike Davis on the phone, or at least it sounded just like him. I know I'm a geek for being able to recognize the voices of random college basketball coaches, but it is a skill I have, as do many of my friends. Just in case you doubt me, "The Git" did send us a picture via cellphone to confirm all of this. If you want I can send it to you if Jordan shows me how. I went on to tell Davis that he was right, I didn't think Kentucky would get him either. I also told Davis that UAB wasn't getting him. We laughed and he said maybe he should just go to Kentucky and become an assistant coach so that we could get Cousins. I told him we wouldn't have him. He said fine, he'll just get John Wall (#1 rated high school player) and Cousins and win the whole damn thing. We really trash talked each other for about 45 seconds, but it was all in good fun and we both laughed. The funniest part was that I was in Wal-Mart during this conversation (did I mention that) and after he said that about Wall and Cousins, I replied "I hope you get em both and take over Conference USA and whip the hell out of Memphis". I was having to talk kind of loud because he was in a loud restaurant, so my comments caught the attention of a man in the aisle with me. He looked at me like I was an idiot. I thought to myself later, even if this man is enough of a basketball fan to know who Mike Davis is, he would have laughed in my face if I had told him, "sorry for yelling, I'm talking to Mike Davis and he's at Hooters and it's loud". Anyway, funny story that I thought I would share with the blog. I wish I knew how to post a picture on the blog from a cellphone so everybody would believe the story. Davis, in one 45 -65 second conversation, went from a guy I didn't really like to a guy I like a lot. He seemed cool. My kind of guy. A guy who can talk trash like he hates you and then laugh at the end of his sentence and you know it was in good fun. I wish I had our talk recorded. It was funny. The thought of me hollering at Mike Davis while walking the aisles at Central City Wal-Mart makes it even funnier.