Omniture is an online marketing and web analytics business unit owned by Adobe Systems. The Omniture Business Unit is based in Orem, Utah, with offices worldwide. It serves customers in 75 countries worldwide.
The company was founded in 1996 and was backed by venture capitalists including Hummer Winblad Venture Partners, University Venture Fund, and Scale Venture Partners. During a period of rapid growth, the company was one of Inc. Magazine's 500 fastest-growing private companies. Omniture was listed on the NASDAQ in 2006.
Omniture bought behavioral targeting company Touch Clarity for $51.5 million. In late 2007 the company acquired web analytics company Visual Sciences, Inc. (formerly WebSideStory) for $394 million, and also purchased Offermatica for $65 million. In October, 2008 it agreed to acquire the Israeli e-commerce search solution provider Mercado for $6.5 million.
On September 15, 2009, Omniture, Inc. and Adobe Systems announced that Adobe would be acquiring Omniture for roughly $1.8 billion. The deal was completed on October 23, 2009, and is now run as the Omniture Business Unit within Adobe.
- SiteCatalyst, Omniture's software as a service application, offers Web analytics (client-side analytics).
- SearchCenter+ assists with paid search and content network optimization in systems such as Google's AdWords, Yahoo! Search Marketing, Microsoft Ad Center, and Facebook Ads.
- DataWarehouse, data warehousing of SiteCatalyst data.
- Test&Target, A/B and MVT (multi-variate testing), derived from Offermatica
- Test&Target 1:1, Omniture's main behavioural targeting solution, derived in part from Touch Clarity, drills down to the individual level of testing.
- Discover, an advanced segmentation tool.
- Insight, a multichannel segmentation tool (both client-side and server-side analytics). Formerly called Discover on Premise, it was derived from Omniture's Visual Sciences acquisition in 2007.
- Insight for Retail, an Insight offering geared toward multiple online and offline retail channels.
- Genesis, a third-party data integration tool (the majority of integrations work with SiteCatalyst).
- Recommendations offers automated product and content recommendations.
- SiteSearch, an on-demand enterprise search product.
- Merchandising, a search and navigation offering for online stores.
- Publish, for web content management.
- Survey, to gather visitor sentiment.
- DigitalPulse, a Web analytics code configuration monitoring tool.
- VISTA, server-side analytics.
Critics have accused Omniture of attempting to hide the fact they are collecting data. Critics claim they do this by sending the information to a domain name that looks and sounds similar to an IP address used to connect to devices on the local network and not the Internet. This has led to speculation that the domain name is used to trick users or firewall rules. Omniture's SiteCatalyst and SearchCenter products use the 2o7.net domain name.
Omniture collects data from Apple and Adobe, who use Omniture to collect usage statistics across their products. It is possible to opt-out of the Omniture data-collection system, and to block the tracking.