McNair Memories

As many of you know, my past radio experience includes a stint with the Tennessee Titans Radio Network. I have several memories of the recently deceased Steve McNair to share.

The first thing I remember is hearing all the football analysts and writers talk about what an inaccurate thrower he was. I found that hard to believe that after seeing McNair throw at the first mini-camp session I went to. He hit the center bar of the goal post from 60 yards away. Now if that's not accurate, I would love to see a quarterback who is.

My other distinct memories of Steve McNair came from direct interactions with the former All-Pro. After the Super Bowl season, I was fortunate enough to accompany Titans officials on their annual Caravan. This is an event in which the team takes selected players out to various cities and towns in Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, and Mississippi. We traveled by RV so that made getting to know the players on a somewhat personal level easier. During the trip, we started playing a card game called "99". It's an survival type game where you start out with three pennies (or higher amounts). One person loses a hand then loses a penny and once you're out the pennies...you're eliminated. The last standing person takes the pot. Several players played the game with us, but McNair wouldn't at first. We had a lot of fun trash talking to each other during the game and after seeing how much fun we were having, he joined in. He had a blast and really showed that he was just a regular guy.

The other memory from that always comes to mind is a stop we had in Cleveland, Tennessee which is just outside Chattanooga and not too far from the Georgia line. I had the duty that morning of sitting beside McNair and being the autograph enforcer. That is to keep people from asking for multiple autographs. An old lady got to the front of the line. Now, she was either confused or had Alzeimer's because she smiled, looked directly at Steve and said, "Yall beat Tennessee next year, you hear." Steve politely smiled and answered, "I'll do my best." She walked on by and he leaned over to me, "Did she just say I hope yall beat Tennessee?" I said yeah and he just laughed. I thought that showed great character by McNair. He could have been mean about it and said something to the lady, but instead just signed her items and let her think what she wanted.

Even though McNair was engaged in an extra marital affair and I certainly don't approve of that, he was a good person. I may have thought otherwise had I not actually talked to interacted with him myself.

R.I.P. Steve McNair