Movie Reviews With The Blog CEO

Just what you've all been waiting for.
I am stuck at work. I've been here since Monday at about 8 pm. It's Wednesday now, 10:30 pm. I'm bored. I can't talk to any of my family. I miss my wife and daughter. Usually when it snows, I stay here at work instead of battling my way home on the curvy highway 431. However, usually cellphones are not out of service and I can at least talk to people back home. I don't know what kind of damage my house has. I don't know what kind of shape my pregnant wife is in, and I don't know how my daughter is doing. I'm sure they are all fine, but I would like to talk to them. I talked to Jordan for a few minutes last night and then the phones went out again. My phone has been back in business since this morning, and I have talked to Kendall all day long. As he said earlier, "your in a bad spot when your only link to the outside world is a washed up gelt". I also talked to Noal (my brother-in-law, and new father, not my father) this afternoon. He and Jamie (along with 5 day old Jessica) are staying in a Bowling Green hotel until the power is restored. I'm guessing that nobody in Muhlenberg County has phone service because I have called everybody in my cell phonebook. I even called Wal-Mart. I am in hopes that someone in my family happens to hook the computer up to the generator tonight and finds this post and replies. I replied to a post on leannewalker.com, but I bet she only plugged her computer in for a few minutes. Anyway, on to the movie reviews, because watching movies is all I've had to do for a few days (when I'm not working).
Slumdog Millionaire - I watched this movie this morning before going to sleep in my hospital room. I thought it was one of the better movies I've watched over the past few months. It's basically the Indian version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, and a kid gets to the next to last question and then gets arrested for cheating. He is questioned and during this interrogation he has flashbacks to his life and stories about how he knew the answer to each question. It may sound dumb, but you won't be dissappointed if you watch this. I got a bootleg dvd, it's still in theaters. If you're interested in movies on dvd that are in theaters, shoot me an email. I know a guy who knows a guy.
The Wrestler - Probably my second favorite, possibly even a tie with Slumdog. This is a movie about a washed up wrestler who is past his prime and struggling to make it. He gave up everything chasing the dream when he is younger and now has nothing, and nobody, to fall back on in his older years. He still wrestles small independent shows, and people still know who he is. He tries to mend the broken relationship with his daughter, which is a good part of the story. This is a movie my guy friends will like and my female friends will never even watch. I thought it was very good.
Gran Torino - Clint Eastwood. Clint is a Korean War veteran who lives in a neighborhood that is being taken over by Asians, and by that I mean Asians are living all around him. He is pretty much an old, badass racist. However, he befriends a young lady and her little brother and helps them get out of trouble when a gang member cousin of their's tries to recruit the young boy. I thought this movie was pretty good but maybe not as good as some folks built it up. It has many great quotes though, and I'll probably watch it again just for that. Just in case you've watched this movie, my favorite quote from Clint: "You know how sometimes you come across somebody you just shouldn't have f**ked with? That's me."
Juno - We got this movie because Jordan wanted to watch it. I reluctantly agreed to watch it with her but I wasn't excited about it. It's about teenage pregnancy. The young lady who played Juno was great. It also has Jennifer Garner in it, and I'm a big time fan of the show Alias, so that was a plus. As the movie went on, something ironic happened. I realized that Jordan wasn't that interested. I also realized that I was really liking it. Check it out if you haven't already. It's been out to rent for a long time.
The Accidental Husband - Another Jordan movie. Actually Jordan had never heard of it, but I got it because I thought it looked like one she would like. Uma Thurman is a radio host who talks about relationships with callers. One day she talks this lady into cancelling her wedding. The lady was going to marry the guy who plays Denny Duquette on Grey's Anatomy, if you watch that show. I can't remember his name in this movie, but he's perfect for the part. Anyway, Denny has a neighbor kid who is a computer whiz, and he has him hack into the cities records and put him in as married to Uma's character. Uma is on her way to get a marriage license and finds out she is already married, except she don't know the guy she's married to . In trying to get Denny Duquette to sign the anulment papers, she realizes that maybe he is the guy for her, and not her fiance. Typical romantic comedy, but worth the watch.
The following reviews will be quickies because I really am supposed to be working.
Forgetting Sarah Marshall - I loved it. Thought it was hilarious. Jordan thought it was silly and immature. She was right. Those were exactly the reasons I loved it. If you're one of those people who wonders why women are naked in movies but men never are, rent this. You WILL see penis.
21 - Kevin Spacey takes a group of mathematical geniuses from MIT and teaches them how to count cards. They take trips to Vegas and make millions. Very good flick.
L.A. Confidential - An older movie that Tom recommended to me. I thought it was very good. Russell Crowe in yet another role as a badass.
Step Brothers - Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly from Talladega Nights fame. The duo is back for another great movie. At least I thought it was great. See Forgetting Sarah Marshall review for how it went over at my house, minus the penis scenes.
88 Minutes - An Al Pacino movie which got terrible reviews and I liked it. He gets a phone call saying he is going to die in 88 minutes. It's a real time movie where he tries to figure out what is going on. Guess how many minutes he has to figure it out?
Untraceable - Diane Lane leads the investigation into a killer who tortures his victims and posts the tortures on a website. How quickly the victims are tortured and killed depends on how many hits the website gets. Sounds bad, but it's a very good movie.
Pineapple Express - Another immature movie. This one is about pot smokers who witness a murder. Pretty funny. Worth watching, but not a must see.
Hancock - Will Smith is a boozing super hero. I liked it.
Tropic Thunder - Star studded movie. I should have put this up there with the long reviews because it deserves it. However, I have talked to a few people who didn't like it. How somebody could dislike the classic performances of Tom Cruise and Robert Downey Jr. baffles me. This movie is great. Also stars Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Nick Nolte, and Matthew McConaughey.
The Usual Suspects - Another older movie that I've always heard was good so I watched it. Also another Kevin Spacey movie. I thought it was very good.
Eagle Eye - Good action movie.
Wanted - Angelina Jolie and Morgan Freeman. You know this was a good one. I'm actually not that big of an Angelina fan, but anything Morgan Freeman is in has a chance to be great.
My movie watching will probably slow down to a crawl now that 24 and Lost have cranked up their new seasons. 24, in my opinion, is the greatest show ever put on television. Lost isn't far behind. I'm also a big fan of Prison Break. Maybe someday I'll have more movie reviews for the blog world. Let me know in the comments if you have watched any good ones I haven't mentioned.
Edit: Jordan would be mad if I didn't also mention that I have an undying love for the VHI show Rock Of Love Bus. She thinks I have untapped homosexuality somewhere deep in my system and that I am in love with Bret Michaels and don't know it yet. What she needs to realize is that I never would have gotten hooked on the original Rock Of Love if she hadn't turned me on to it. Bret Michaels is the man, and you all know it.