Today's Magazine Cover


I must follow up the bad UK cover from SI with a great one. All die hard fans can tell you where they were when the Cats finally won it all again in 1996. It had been 18 years since the last title. It's been a while now. Hopefully Billy G can bring us a title soon. If he does, I bet this blog shows the SI cover (safe bet). Please share your 1996 NCAA title story in the comments section. I was at Blake's house. We had watched each tournament game at Blake's on their new tv. We actually started watching the first half of the title game at Maholli's house, but felt guilty and the first time Syracuse made a run we ran to Blake's and the game finished in our favor. I can't remember everybody who was there but I can remember these: Blake, JV, Fatty, Maholli, Jackie Phillips, JP, and Mike Spilla (the coward who won't email me pics for his profile). As soon as the horn sounded we headed to Lexington for the celebration. The team arrived the following night to a packed Rupp Arena. They came directly from the airport to Rupp and raised the banner. It was probably one of my top 5 all time live events that I have been able to attend. Spilla cried when "Toine" was raising the banner and Queen's "We Are The Champions" was blaring on the Rupp sound system. Blake taunted Alan Cutler, and all was good in Cat Country.