1998 NCAA Champs



This is the cover from the 1998 NCAA Champion Kentucky Wildcats SI story. The second pic is just a classic from the Duke game in the Elite Eight. We named this move "the rings of Magloire". I'll never forget Billy Packer screaming "What is Magloire doing?". My friends and I celebrated in Blake's basement at the hilarious sight of Wojo writhing in fake pain as Magloire tried to act like it was all a big accident. They both deserved Oscars for the whole scene. I think Magloire really wanted to tie him up a little bit, but if you can remember or could watch it again you can also realize that Wojo played it up as much as possible and that little piss ant wasn't hurt a bit. That back bend he's doing in the picture was of his own creation.

Now on to the championship story. In 1996 Blake's parents bought a new tv for their living room just in time for the NCAA tourney. We watched all the games on this new tv and the Cats brought home the big hardware for the first time in 18 years. In 1997 we continued this NCAA tourney tradition by watching all the games at the Phillips house once again. However, I was able to land a couple of tickets to the championship game where Tom and I witnessed live the finals loss to Arizona. I have always blamed myself for the Cats not winning it all in '97. In 1998 I vowed to watch all the games at the home of Danny and Jackie Phillips no matter what. When Jackie decided to purchase a 60 inch big screen for their basement at tournament time I knew things were looking good for UK and their new coach Tubby Smith. We didn't miss a tournament game and sure enough Tubby and the Comeback Cats cut down the nets in San Antonio. This brought the Cats to an amazing record of 17-0 in a three year span of NCAA tournament games I watched in the Phillips house. If only I had been there for that 1997 final. In 1999 I had landed a real job and was working 2nd shift at Muhlenberg Community Hospital and there was no possible way that I could watch every game there. So, the streak came to an end. It was however one of the greatest and most memorable 3 year runs in the storied history of UK's basketball program. It was also the greatest and most memorable 3 year run in my history as a fan. Big Blue Madness tickets will be available Saturday morning. I'm pumped for another season.